Swami the Magazine is part of Random Thoughts Illustrated, Inc. As such, the staff elected to make a theme choice this week that adheres to Alanis Morissette’s definition of ironic (which we all know means that it isn’t actually ironic). This week you will get pieces of random information to go with each pick. And as this is a rush edition, we’ll get right to it (and the graphics department is on vacation this week… Sorry!)
Georgia Tech over Duke 30-27
- Brown eyes are blue underneath, and you can actually get a surgery to turn brown eyes blue.
- When you blush, the lining of your stomach also turns red.
Wisconsin over Nebraska 24-17
- A bolt of lightning is six times hotter than the sun.
- When a person cries and the first drop of tears come from the right eye, its happiness. if it from left eye, it’s pain.
Oklahoma State over West Virginia 38-35 (Upset!)
- Handshakes were originally meant to make sure that the person you were meeting wasn’t carrying a concealed weapon. The hand clasp proved that your hand was empty and shaking was meant to dislodge any weapons hiding up the sleeve. (So no pistols would fire)
- Having bridesmaids in a wedding wasn’t originally for moral support. They were intended to confuse evil spirits or those who wished to harm the bride.
Michigan over Michigan State 42-17
- When howling together, no two wolves will howl on the same note, instead, they harmonize to create the illusion that there are more of them than there actually are.
- Your nose can remember 50,000 different scents.
Florida over Georgia 28-21
- After working out, it takes 5 hours for your body temperature to return to normal.
- When the moon is directly overhead, you weigh slightly less.
Baylor over Texas 31-20
- Goldfish don’t have stomachs.
- Strawberries contain more vitamin C than oranges.
Washington over Utah 27-23
- Dogs and elephants are the only animals that understand pointing.
- The main exporter of Brazil nuts is not Brazil. It’s Bolivia.
Clemson over Florida State 31-30
- Bald eagles are so named because balde is an old English word meaning white.
- In the U.S., if you find a bald eagle feather on the ground, you need a permit to pick it up.
Auburn over Ole Miss 33-28
- 63 earths can fit inside Uranus.
- Tomatoes came from America and weren’t introduced in Italy until the 1540s.
Tennessee over South Carolina 34-21
- The first president of Zimbabwe was president Banana.
- Broccoli is the only vegetable that is also a flower.
*Note: No fact-checking was done. The staff purely trusted the Internet source that said they are facts.
The Guru’s Take
Okay, so Sparty is really sad now, as the Guru couldn’t help MSU to a win against Maryland last week. This week, the Guru will jump back from the B1G to the Big 12 to determine whether the Mountaineers are as good as that gaudy record seems. WVU has yet to play either Oklahoma school or Baylor, so it’s tough to tell whether TCU was overrated or whether Dana Holgorsen has West Virginia ready for prime time. Playing at Oklahoma State, where he made his name as an offensive coordinator, will be a stiff test. But the Guru believes the Mountaineer defense will be able to do just enough to stop Mason Rudolph, and the offense will put enough points on the board to win a slugfest. WVU 34, OSU 31
James & the Swamettes
Chiefs over Colts 27-24
- Fresh cranberries can be bounced like a rubber ball.
- Shrimp can only swim backwards.
Falcons over Packers 37-35
- The name for the space between eyebrows is “nasion”.
- The sun evaporates about a trillion tons of water a day.
Vikings over Bears 21-17
- The only lizard that has a voice is the Gecko.
- In Germany, the shhh sound literally means hurry up.